Good Morning, Stampers! Here is one of the projects I created for the Holiday Marathon Workshop at Carrie Blake. It has a really cool technique using the "Petals-A-Plenty" Embossing Folder. As you can see, it has a recessed oval shape in the center of the Whisper White card stock so that you can stamp directly on the flat surface. In order to do this, you will need to make a Chipboard Template.
Here is how I made mine using the Stampin' Up! Scallop Oval Frame die (#114521, page 222).
- Cut Chipboard to 4 1/2" x 5 3/4" and set aside. This is your Chipboard Template. Tip: Make sure to use a THICK chipboard piece. Stampin' Up!'s On Board Sheets (chipboard sheets) are perfect for this.
- Take another piece of chipboard or card stock to die-cut the oval shape from the Scallop Oval Frame die.
- Place your oval shape onto your Chipboard Template (4 1/2" x 5 3/4") and place it in the center. Using a pencil, trace the oval shape and cut it out with an exact knife.
Now you need to be a little bit creative to use this Chipboard Template on your Big Shot. Since you are adding the thickness of the Chipboard Template, you need to change the way how you sandwich everything on the Multipurpose Platform.
- Use the Tab 2 of the Multipurpose Platform. (Normally you use the Tab 1 for regular embossing.)
- Place a piece of card stock in the center of your embossing folder and close.
- Hold your embossing folder, Chipboard Template and one Cutting Pad together in your hand. Carefully place all pieces on the Multipurpose Platform and run through your Big Shot making sure that your Chipboard Template is not sliding off.
It's hard to see from the picture above but the sentiment is heat-embossed with the Cherry Cobbler Emboss Powder. At the Holiday Marathon Workshop they had two embossing colors (Cherry Cobbler and Pewter) to choose from. I like the deep red color of the Cherry Cobbler but there is something I really like about this brand-new Pewter Emboss Powder. I don't know how to explain but it really neat to see how the Pewter color appears beautifully when embossing. It is AMAZING!
I hope you like this recessed technique and try it yourself. Please feel free to leave a comment.
Stamps - Stitched Stockings, Delightful Dozen
Paper- Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White, Silver Glimmer Paper
Ink - VersaMark, Cherry Cobbler
Punches - Stocking Builder
Tools and Accessories - Cherry Cobber Emboss Powder, Pewter Emboss Powder, Heat Gun, Cherry Cobbler Baker's Twine, Mini Jingle Bells
Big Shot - Petals -A-Plenty Embossing Folder, Scallop Oval Frame die, On Board Sheets (chipboard sheets)